All school councils in Victoria operate under the Education and Training Reform Act 2006.
Each school council is established by an Order of the Minister for Education, which specifies
the council’s membership, size and configuration, its objectives, powers, functions and
accountabilities and the role of its executive officer who is the principal. The school
council has particular functions in setting and monitoring the school’s direction.
School councils have three main responsibilities
Other key functions of school councils include
- Finance – overseeing the development of the
school’s annual budget and ensuring proper records are kept of the school's
- Strategic Planning – participating in the development and monitoring of the school strategic plan.
- Policy Development and Review – developing, reviewing and updating policies that reflect a school's
values and support the school’s broad direction outlined in its strategic plan.
- Raising funds for school-related purposes
- Maintaining school grounds and facilities
- Entering into contracts
- Reporting annually to the school community and the Department
- Representing and taking the views of the community into account
- Regulating and facilitating after-hours use of school premises and grounds
- Operating a children’s service at the school (primarily an “Out of School Hours Care” program in primary schools).
School councils play a key role in Victorian government schools. Participating as a school
council member is a rewarding and challenging experience. The school council supports the
principal to provide the best possible educational outcomes for students.
Cheltenham Secondary College Council
Cheltenham Secondary College Council is comprised of 12 members
- Five Parent Category members
- Four DET Employee Category members, and
- Three Community members who are co-opted on to council
Elections are held at the start of each year. Members are elected for two
years, with half the members’ positions being declared vacant in alternating years.
Cheltenham Secondary College Council operates four sub-committees
- Student Services
- Educational Policy
- Buildings and Grounds
Please contact the college if you would like to know more about College Council.